Book Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Book Discussion

Post by Chanely on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:11 am

This is a group for discussion about books that aren't part of the classics. This includes popular teen fiction, autobiographies, anything as long as it's not part of the classics. You can talk about what you're reading now, what your favourite books are, and your opinions on any book.
Chanely

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Book Discussion

Post by Chanely on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 am

One of my all time favourites is The Kite Runner, I feel like it's really deep and it's something I especially can connect to.

I just had a discussion with Annie about how the Twilight series is really shallow and depicts the naiive obstacles in mortality. As I'm reading vampire classics with Corinne now, I realized that Anne Rice's vampire series comment on how people choose to open themselves up with opportunities when they have a limited time to live (mortals), but when they have an infinite time, they choose to be hermits and block themselves up (hence become vampires/immortals and do nothing with their lives). It also talks about fate, how vampires like Louis and Claudia always desire their mortal lives and live alongside humans, yet they know they can never achieve that life again. At the same time, mortals who know about the vampires desperately want to gain that immortality and power. Anne Rice's novels are much more sensual and portray true love more intensely while commenting on the themes of human life as well. But Twilight is really just a simple love story. The movies are even worse, Kristen Stewart is stoneface and Robert Pattinson doesn't even like the series LOL. Annie and I also discussed how vampires and werewolves should not mix and mingle because they are on totally different classes. A werewolf should not fall in love with a vampire because though werewolves are more about loyalty and co-operation and vampires are power and pride, the elegance of vampires is no longer there if they interact with werewolves. Vampires are deemed to be creatures of loneliness, and even if they fall in love with a mortal, I feel like the Twilight series hasn't at all showed how hard it is to hold on a vampire's instinctive thirst for blood. If Twilight were written more eloquently, I feel like it'd be a much better series.
Chanely

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by JenTrac on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

One of my all time favourites is The Kite Runner, I feel like it's really deep and it's something I especially can connect to.
JenTrac

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top